We require your consent to collect personal information about you.
Brisbane Sports & Exercise Medicine Specialists values the Doctor-Patient relationship. Protection of privacy is vital in the management of this relationship. The amendments to the Commonwealth Privacy Act formalise the already existing privacy obligations of our practice.
Our Doctors and Staff collect information for the primary purpose of providing quality health care. We require you to provide us with your personal details and full medical history so that we may properly assist, diagnose, treat and be proactive in your health care needs. This means, we will use the information you provide in the following ways:
- Administrative purposes in running our medical practice
- Billing purposes, including compliance with Medicare and Health Insurance Commission requirements.
- Disclosure to others involved in your health care, including treating Doctors, Specialists and Allied Health Providers such as Physiotherapists or Occupational Therapists inside and outside this medical practice. This may occur through referral to other Doctors or referral for medical testing and the subsequent reports or results returned to us following said referrals.
- Disclosure to other Doctors, Allied Health Providers and registrars attached to the practice, for the purpose of patient care and teaching. Please let us know if you do not want your records assessed for these purposes and we will note your request accordingly.
- Disclosure for research and quality assurance activities, to improve individual and community health care and practice management. You will be informed when such activities are being conducted and given the opportunity to “opt out” of any involvement.
- Emergency situations whereby Medical Officers or Hospitals require access to patient notes for treatment purposes.
The doctors in the practice are members of various medical and professional bodies including Medical Defense organisations. These organisations provide valuable services to their members and ensure that best patient interest is maintained at all time. For ongoing quality assurance, it may be necessary for Medical Practitioners in the Centre to provide information relevant to their practice to these organisations. On occasion, this information may be patient related.