Sport & Exercise Medicine
A SEM Physician offers the ‘complete package’, with the ability to examine the musculoskeletal system expertly, and without relying on other Specialty fields to make a diagnosis. They are extensively trained in interpretation of radiological investigations of the musculoskeletal system, and know how to investigate appropriately. They are the appropriate medical specialist to coordinate the management of non-operative musculoskeletal problems from initial diagnosis through to coordination of suitable duties whilst completing rehabilitation, through to eventual return to work. Alternatively a SEM Physician has the knowledge to determine when surgery is the definitive treatment, and when it is appropriate to refer to their surgical colleagues. SEM Physicians are able to determine liability, permanent impairment, and incapacity in injured workers.
Many SEM Physicians are involved with elite sporting teams, and the need to definitively diagnose, work-up and rehabilitate an athlete to optimize and accelerate return to sport, is equally relevant in the management of the injured worker. Often injured workers lack even a definitive diagnosis of their complaint, which leads to time wasted on inappropriate duties and treatment.
SEM Physicians treat a wide range of disorders in any age group including:
- troublesome acute musculoskeletal injuries
- overuse and chronic musculoskeletal problems
- medical concerns such as concussion, fatigue/overtraining syndrome, and the female athlete triad
- exercise prescription for chronic medical conditions including, but not limited to, asthma, diabetes, and obesity
- providing advice on the safe and effective use of physical activity in the treatment of illness and injury
Management of these disorders includes:
- Establishing diagnoses
- Organization of appropriate investigations to aid in diagnosis, including MRI
- Initiation and coordination of effective treatment programmes
- Rehabilitation programme design for exercising individuals, workers, and elite athletes
- Expedition of referrals to other specialists such as orthopaedic surgeons, as needed